Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Faith (3rd Debate)

Faith was addressed and I tend to be picky on this. It's not that I wouldn't change it, it's that our country stands by a principle of separation of church and state. Kerry came out and said that his Catholic religion has greatly influenced him. The idea though is for it to not motivate any decisions made. I caught Bush saying his religion influences his decisions. He said that he prays a lot and it is personal. Followed it saying that prayer and religion sustain me. Added that he makes decisions from principle and principles come from his personal life. If you are still with me, his principles, prayer, and personal life are intertwined and are basically in my opinion inseparable. He said God wants everyone to be free and stated that he imposed this idea on Afghanistan. I think this endangers America. I believe Bush and Osama are leaders of a Holy War. What comes down to is this is a stand off of religious principles. Muslim principles have conflicted with Bush's faith. I adamantly feel that Bush has not separated church from state and this has led us down the wrong path. It doesn't matter if separation of church and state is right or wrong. What matters is whether or not our president will follow accepted rules while in power. Separating church and state in my opinion is an accepted rule.

2 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Logical Judgement said...

The founding fathers were religious too, and probably then made decisions at least somewhat influenced by their faith. Was their seperation then, and can their be true seperation now?

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger JasonH said...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
- First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

I don't see anywhere in there that a President or any national office holder can't base their decisions on principles or religious beliefs.

Muslim principle of killing the infidels? Yeah, I would say that contradicts everything we stand for in the U.S., but that contradition was not the reason we attacked Afghanistan or Iraq. The reason we attacked was to destroy terrorism, not Islam (no matter how whacky a religion it may be). It really has nothing to do with the separation of church and state.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home