Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Oppose Using Intelligence Reform to Cloak Worst Immigration Legislation in a Decade

I know nothing about immigration legislation, but I do know that our country has a problem with immigrants. If we didn't, a proposal for a "driver's license" type of thing so that immigrants can work would not have been part of the debates at all. I remember an O'Reilly Factor with a guest who spoke of the problems that the border patrol on the southern part of the U.S. was having. The government clearly has little idea what the patrollers face because the person said that he could not chase the person down until he was within a distance from the border. He also said he was not supposed to chase immigrants down if they went through. I believed him and I would think that his job would be a waste of time if he couldn't stop the immigrants in some way. So on the topic of immmigration legislation, I have little to offer...

But I can say something about immigrants' rights. Immigrants have and should not have the same rights until they become a citizen. Immigrants should understand that they will be treated differently and that people will watch them closely. I think the government should be free to investigate and/or probe an immigrant for the safety of America. Obviously, an immigrant leaves their country because America will be better for them. But better how? A better place to start a terrorist operation or a better place to live. I have nothing against investigating immigrants if the investigation is carried out fairly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home